The Philippine Pride, Pinoy News and Current Affairs
Genevieve Molina, a Filipino-American graduate school student from Harvard University causes discomfort to Filipino community in US following the release of her dissertation on Harvard Magazine. Molina, who is completing her masters in Psychology, published the paper “The Unintelligent Facebook Users” on October 15, 2014. The thesis gained widespread praise from her professors for her accurate analysis of the topic; but received an overwhelming negative reaction from Filipinos who are aware of her papers.Her studies finds that many Filipino Facebook users are not yet ready to go along with other countries in terms of on-line laws, etiquette, level of intelligence, level of emotion, level of decency, and over-all public awareness. Her studies also reveal that many Filipino Facebook users lack common sense when dealing with their social media accounts.
We only picked the very obvious and important part of the 182-page thesis. Most of the data below are taken from the actual paper while some are taken on-line.
Philippine Facebook User Data
- Population – 100,600,000
- Internet users – 37,020,800
- Internet Penetration – 36.8%
- Facebook Users – 36,980,250
- Daily Active Users – 21,785,985 (number of people who log-in daily)
- Female Users– 52%
- Male Users– 48%
- New Users – 5 every minute, 300 per hour, 7200 a day
STATUS UPDATEDaily Status Update (without outside link) – 18,780,980
- Users who are updating their status without posting any outside link to articles, videos, and images.
- Users who are updating their status and posting outside links to articles, photos, and videos.
- Users who are uploading photos from their hard drive.
- Users who are uploading videos from their hard drive.
DAILY SHARESDaily Shares (without outside link) – 13,756,456
- Users who are sharing posts, images, and videos without clickable outside links
- Users who are sharing photos, videos, and articles from outside sources
- Users who are reading or viewing the articles, images, and videos without hitting the “like” button.
DAILY LIKESDaily Likes to shared internal image and status – 19,456,546
- Users who click the “like” button on images and wall posts
- Total number of users who click the “like” button on internal and external posts.
- Users who click the “like” button without reading or opening the link (dumb users)
- Users who are actually reading the articles or opening the page before clicking the “like” button (most intelligent users)
There are several reasons why people are doing this. They might be clueless, ignorant, brainless, dumb, dull, unintelligent, or just don’t know what they are doing.
Another disturbing statistics reveals that most Filipino users are sharing horrific images like accidents, killings, child abuse, and other horrendous images that is not shared by people who understands its effects.
It seems Filipino users don’t know the meaning of human rights and etiquette. Out of 6,020,958 terrible images shared around the world on Facebook daily, 951,311 (15.8%) are shared by Filipino users from inside and outside the Philippines. 951,311 comprises 4.36% of daily active Filipino users.
One of Molina’s tests was posting an image of a malnourished Filipino boy with a caption “Don’t Like Before You Read the Article”. The photo went viral and was shared 85K times, liked 120,560 times, but her article where the photo was pointed to was only opened 9,800 times. 91.87% liked the photo without reading what the article was all about.
The author wanted to share this article to public, not to humiliate the Filipino Face book users but to remind them and make them wake-up from their wrongdoings. For instance, a girl from Taguig City was jailed recently because of posting her neighbor’s photo. This is another example and another proof that Molina’s study is justified.
Contributed by Rhodora Greene and Ruel Pagulayan, both Filipino-Americans from Reading, Michigan
- The Unintelligent Facebook User; G. Molina, Harvard Graduate School of Psychology, Oct, 2014
- World Population Review; http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/philippines-population/
- Philippine Facebook Statistics; http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/philippines
- 5 Filipinos Open FB Account per minute; http://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/2609-5-filipinos-open-a-facebook-account-per-minute
- Philippine Surpasses 18M FB Users; http://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/2609-5-filipinos-open-a-facebook-account-per-minute
- Internet Users by Country; http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users-by-country/